This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Venice Architecture Biennale

Comments

• sod
    sod
    edited October 2008
    <p>scottish stair was dull & dissapointing after hearing good things about it-  didn't like the blind rear side of the object. best apect of the thing could have been achieved with a cherry picker.</p>
    <p>liked reading markhams sober account of events (bottle myth busted) - cleaned up to create the impression of a clear rational head? that blog site looked good - pitty it's not in use - liked the cassandra fay rant.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
  • miles
    edited November -1
    generally it was all a bit dull really. will be good to hear if the world architecture festival was better despite the megabucks entry. looks like no aussie schemes got up. as for the 'worlds best building' what a joke! and that fugimoto kid just keeps kicking on....or is he paul finch's love child?
  • miles
    edited November -1
    fyi
    http://www.worldarchitecturefestival.com/news-detail.cfm?newsId=70
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    @ sod. didn't mind the blind side. a building with a front and back.
    a bad bit and a good bit. banal I know - but architecture is ordinary.
    versus all that in the round computer generated blob shite -ie hadid's shiny turds.
    it was also a piece at real size - not a harmless representation.

re the account on the blog site.
    I think I prefer the bottle myth.
    having seen Lyon's work at the Law Faculty UNSW.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>didn't know its built. Lyons only have renderings on the website - if you have any pics please put them up</p>
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>the building that won the world architecture festival looks like a roughy - really hard to see how it got up. says more about the lack of quality in the judging than the building.</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited October 2008
    yep its built - AA July/Aug 07.

here is link
    http://www.archmedia.com.au/aa/aaissue.php?issueid=200707&article=14&typeon=2

WAF winner looks irish mainstream.
    still - take it over Lyons/DCM if forced to choose.
    bogans.
    watched vid on that site. those winners looked real stoked?!?
  • sod
    sod
    edited October 2008
    <p>i should pay more attention - then again i've never been keen to look at lyons buildings aside from the stuff hamish lyon produced in his short stay.</p>
    <p>design boganism runs a strangely inoffensive skidmark thru melbourne - the venturi / corrigan leagacy passed on to arm and lyons, then trickling down in a heavy dilution to minifie nixon, and maybe rowan opat, haw and others no doubt. Mcbribe seems to have shaken off and eclipsed this lot.</p>
    <p>i've always thought it was a condescending position to take up - probably the same reason i hate cath & kim. nothin fcukin worse than midle class cnuts appropriating sub cultures for shock value / effect. Norman Day was the most transparent and easily the worst at it.</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited October 2008
    - seen some HL stuff. his own concrete house- seems long ago.
    mean. very likeable.

did not know he had a short stay @ lyens? what did he do?

design boganism is based on a misunderstanding of Corrigan maybe?
    he was just deliberately into poor building?
    Dunno what to make of the follow up stuff by that list of names - is it really follow up stuff?
    Got to wonder if corrigan would think Lyons were part of his trajectory.
    I'd be thinking Wood/Marsh were. Like that tower down in the docklands with the pointy cap. (maybe best thing in melbourne docklands apart from the view of nothing).

I just had a look through that WAFfle site at winners of each category.
    looks like the editors of AA and AR australia could have judged it.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>re lyons extension - that's rough on NMBW - they're pretty good compared to their mentors - much more capable of independent thought than most of their contemporaries.</p>
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>can't imagine corrigan would appreciate anyone suggesting lyons was part of his trajectory - reckon he found the lyon boys offensive on a socioecomic level - nobody likes silverspoons</p>
    <p>i can't see past the glamour in WM to trace any lineage to corrigan. the tower in the docklands is the best thing down there by a mile. easily shades Wardles effort at dock 5. the balencia?? building on st kilda road is looking like a turd tho.</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited October 2008
    yes - the curvy one. have not seen in flesh. not good by the looks of it.
    but even that has touch of the corrigans.
    looking to his early work pre america or something like the Archives Comp. project from the late 70s.
    then there is german expressionism.
    WM glamour is very hard to look past. not something I would honestly bother doing. I'm no fan.
    Its not an obvious place to look for corrigan - not in melbourne I'll admit.
    I just put it forward as a novel view.

thought you were suggesting lyons were part of corrigan's trajectory sod with the lineage above.
    (They probably think they are.)
    See its more of a pairing/generations your setting up.
    pairing Lyons with Arm makes sense.

I see nothing out of the ordinary in NMBW.
    I'd refer to their effort re VB 2006. its certainly profoundly earnest.
    there is a lot of that around.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>i think it looks great in the renderings - seems to be getting a reverse makeover on site.</p>
    <p>NMBW buildings are a bit better than VB 2006</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited October 2008
    VB 2006 was obvious analysis without a point.
    going through a motion. the work is no different.
    a collection of timid borrowings from oriental quarters - without that culture/mindset.
    - white trash zen / or independent thought?
    or just agreeably positionless in melbourne's phillip johnson kulture.
    who were their mentors?

WM curve tower is good in renderings I think. a second berlin glass tower? coulda come off.
    shame if its not going well. I hate their work but like that dockland tower.
  • hairdresser
    edited November 2008
    AA iced the yellowcake as predicted in new issue.
    look for declarations of interest by reviewers.
    unlike sorenson at Australian there are none.
    same issue has coverage of placemaking in QLD and a murcutt show in japan.
    the japanese paid to stage the murcutt show.

of interest.
    right on the last page a letter from markham of TUG.
    about lyons and v. schaik.
  • sideburn
    edited November -1
    good to see the old boy firing up again.
    where's he been? - some sort of internal exile?
    looking forward to the even older boy's and lyons' response.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    HD thanks for the tip - probably would have missed it.

Cna't imagine there will be a response from lyons or v schiak
  • miles
    edited November -1
    a very odd letter from mick. i dont get it? is he saying how does skike know what lyons are up to? can anyone illuminate? hd did you understand. i didnt go the the conference (could bear the thought). and how much did naomi stead get paid for those two reviews. she and ms clark were looking very cosy on the canals.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    the media watch tone of the letter makes me think its a straight forward questioning of the ESD credentials of the lyons building and leons willingness to swallow & regurgitate lyons spin on the issue.
    don't think there's much to read btwn the lines and i imagine MM is acutely aware of what lyon has managed to achieve.
  • info
    edited November -1
    Yes - it reads as a pretty straight forward enquiry from this distance
    But in light of this thread would imply that if Lyons fabricates here
    Could easily manipulate there eg.the national embarrassment that was Abundance

Stead's review of Abundance was pissweak - and read like it was written at gunpoint
    Am surprised that Markham's letter was printed at all (Clarke showing a bit of nerve?)
    Or Stead lining up for the editor's job?
  • hairdresser
    edited November 2008
    @miles
    michael markham's letter looked straight up to me.
    GBCA rating has a quasi regulatory status.
    Interestingly Lyon is a board member of the GBCA itself.
    markham did not say that in his letter.
    as to his assessment of Lyon's writing skills, I thought he was being kind.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ venice.
    real australia was by university of louisiana USA.
  • info
    edited November -1
    Errata above: Lousianna c/o is an exhibition put on by the Louisana Museum of Modern Art (in Denmark).
    Point still stands though.
    Maybe Australia, next time around, will survey one deceased architect?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    - that link to arkitecha blog don't work - blogs gorn.
    what happened to the RMIT chick that ran it?

the celebrity hair clipping took my eye while I was sweeping out the shop.
    so I bagged it for the display collection. goes well with the racked vintage coq mags.
    customers always comment in the shop.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    bag 2.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    but the merritug proposal was recycled from 2006 after they dipped out to practice professor murray and his sidekick. do you have a copy of that? there was a pdf on line for a while?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    not in mag rack miles.
    the gossip stuff appealed to the hairdresser.
    link of sods to Merrimatug thing worked the other day when I looked into architekcha blog.
    now it doesn't go - AIA hacked them?

who knows. maybe they turned their backs on white society like Gularrwuy Yunupingu?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24755494-2702,00.html
  • info
    edited December 2008
    @HD - Stick this in your magazine rack (found it looking for that merrima/tug site) - O'Brien at a recent Pecha Kucha event here in Brisbane:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQsrSKR1CY

Actually saw it a few months ago - a pretty calm explanation of the idea + a critique of the lemoncake. The building projections are spooky too
    Reckon those boys are up to something ...
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    tried your link and it said malformed.
    stabbed a guess and typed finding country in to u tube and got it I think.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=veQsrSKR1CY

how do you do direct links on this site?
    I see sod did one on other page to m/t site.

in my rack now info.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    nice. i remember the previous submission proposing the burning of the pavilion to generate new growth..(apologies for my crude interp) too provocative for preserved lemons.