This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

OAS rejects US candidate for America

WORLD AFFAIRS
India's National Magazine
A Latin American snub
JOHN CHERIAN

The Organisation of American States gives a jolt to the U.S. by rejecting its candidate for the leadership of the regional grouping.
THE election of Jose Miguel Insulza as the Secretary-General of the Organisation of American States (OAS) in May was yet another diplomatic and political setback for the George Bush administration in Latin America. Insulza, currently the Interior Minister of Chile, was not the candidate Washington was originally backing for the post. It had thrown its weight behind Luis Enesto Derbez, Mexico's Foreign Minister. Washington's first choice for the post was the former President of El Salvador, Francisco Flores.

It is for the first time in the history of the OAS, established in 1948, that a candidate without the explicit backing of the United States, has been elected for the post. The OAS, especially (...)
After the American attempts at subverting democracy in Venezuela and Haiti, many OAS members are no longer willing to be lectured on the subject by the Bush administration (...)

The Bush administration had suffered another major setback this year when it failed to persuade Latin American countries to sign the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA). The agreement was to be initialled on January 1, 2005. The FTAA negotiations had to be suspended as Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia and Uruguay refused to lift trade barriers. Chavez has already proposed an alternative to FTAA in the shape of the Bolivarian Alternative for the Americas (ALBA), which aims (...)

Continue reading: Frontline India's National Magazine
http://www.flonnet.com/fl2212/stories/20050617001605400.htm

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    Do you not think you were wrong?:X:X
  • beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Anonymous wrote:
    Do you not think you were wrong?:X:X

I am not sure as to your comment, wrong on what exactly?

I find it quite interesting and inspiring that many American countries are willing to challenge the wishes of the continent's bully. Most American countries have good reasons to be suspicious of the US government intentions, and it is telling that the only ones following the US into its war (war on terror today), were those with the weakest economies and governments. These are the poorest and less developed countries such as Nicaragua, which has suffered the US punishment after the overthrow of their dictator Somoza (former friend of the US government).
    So, no, I see no wrong there and I hope that others take the same stance; this is what democracy should be about.