This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

business parks - another one again!

anybody heard of University Hill, another multi-million development for mixed use development near RMIT's Bundoora's Campus? http://www.universityhill.com.au/Location/

with 'creation of a community', 'close to everything' and most heavily highlighted, 'close to motorways', as the marketing and advert's slogans, just wonder how (or how much)and to what extent of improvements in public transport we will need to get people onto buses and trains in order to 'create a community', rather driving all the way to work and shop?

afterall, why do we need business parks? who need that?

Comments

• N
    N
    edited January 1970
    I don't know about the business park area but there is a pretty dense residential development being designed around a man made wetland which will help to recycle water in the residential area. By dense I mean a handful of detached houses and the rest are townhouse-like row houses which have small private backyards but all in all more sustainable than other residential developments (in the same price range) elsewhere.

As for the integration of public transport I think most of it is aligned on one of the major roads and I'm not too sure if the trams are there.

The improvements to the public transport, sadly, are not the responsibility of the developers (MAB right?). Any measures made by the developers will still have to go through the relevant transport authorities who could very well knock back a plan for extended bus/tram lines because well...for them its a completely seperate undertaking to trying to "build a community" let alone a sustainable one.

Business parks aren't great but I remember a lecture where it was mentioned that alot of larger MNCs like business parks because they are cheaper to rent out than cbd located buildings. Kind of how Shell vacated the cnr of Spring and Flinders to move to Camberwell. I don't know why they are putting business parks in locations like Bundoora, Richmond, Hawthorn seeing as they are better for residential perhaps?