This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Buildings are responsible for 50% of CO2

vista24.jpg(for those who do not live in Melbourne, Australia, this photo is not that of a public school, or a community clinic. This is a single house with garage for 4 cars, where a standar family of 3 or 4 live. Note that most of the city, particularly the periphery is not served by public transport - in the real sense of the word.

Towards Sustainable Architecture

I just came across this very important article written by Richard Rogers. I have quoted a few statements which I think we could discuss in this forum.

It would be interesting to find our what our membership thinks about this issue and what are we doing to minimise our environmental impact. Hope to read your comments.

Find the original article here
“Sustainable design aims to meet present needs without compromising the stock of natural resources remaining for future generations. In terms of buildings It implies resource efficiency –– minimum energy, flexibility and long life.” Richard Rogers

Buildings are responsible for 50% of the world’s generation of CO2. How can design mitigate this alarming statistic and address the fact that climate change in general is threatening the future existence of mankind?

Comments

• peter_j
    edited January 1970
    For more details of the architectural responsibiliy for climate change, the American Institute of Architects has released a PDF calling on architects to put their knowledge on lowering energy use in buildings to use. They have a few points to make, including:
    Architects know that buildings can be designed to operate with less than half the energy of today’s average U.S. building at little or no additional cost

By the year 2035, three quarters of the built environment in the U.S. will be either new or renovated.

http://www.aia.org/SiteObjects/files/architectsandclimatechange.pdf