This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Israeli bombing of Gaza's main university

Clear-cut crime
As Israel commits war crimes in Gaza, many Palestinians are wondering if they wouldn't be better off free of the Palestinian Authority Israel seemingly aims to break, writes Khaled Amayreh in the West Bank
(....)
On Tuesday morning, Israeli warplanes fired air-to-ground missiles at buildings of the Islamic University in Gaza City, causing widespread damage. An Israeli army spokesman described the bombing as "a message of deterrence".
palestinian-boy.jpgThis is the second time in less than a week that Israeli warplanes have targeted the largest institute of higher education in the occupied territories, which has a student population of more than 15,000. Last week, an Israeli F-16 fighter dropped a large bomb on the college campus, creating a huge crater, but leaving no casualties.

The bombing of Gaza's main university was preceded by a sequence of incendiary measures against the Palestinian Authority (PA) and its Hamas-led government, including the bombing of Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh's headquarters, the destruction of Fatah offices, and the arrest of some 64 lawmakers, officials and government ministers.
(....)
Last week, the Israeli air force destroyed the main power stations in Gaza, plunging the world's most densely populated region into total darkness, forcing 1.3 million Gazans to resort to primitive means to maintain whatever semblance of normal life they could, cooking with wood fire and using kerosene lamps to light living rooms at night.

Hospitals, including prenatal wards, also suffered as a result of power outage. Israel, emboldened by the absence of any international outcry against its outrageous actions in Gaza, has threatened to step up the obliteration of Palestinian civil infrastructure. In light of statements by Israeli political and military officials, it is quite possible that the next phase of the Israeli campaign will include the bombing of schools and water installations as well as media outlets, public transportation systems, more government buildings, and hospitals.

One Israeli army general was quoted as saying, "this time, there will be no red lines, and all aspects of Palestinian life will be under attack."
(....)

photo: A Palestinian boy drinks up the last drop of water from a can before filling it at a water distribution point in Gaza
(photo: AP)
continue reading: AL-AHRAM (Published in Cairo, established in 1875), http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/802/re1.htm

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    dear all
    i am a member of your community ...pleading for peace i live in plaestine .Isreal is destroying the infrastructure its focusing on main life streaming facilities other than universities that includes hospitals schools ,effective ministries ...thsi destruction has been going on for long time and still going on but its becoming more and more destructive ...as you all know its been the fifth month since the govermental sectore has taken any salary that also includes hospital who are running out of midical supplies and on top of all that there is hug number of dead and injured people...we have to make a move to stop this brutal attack against an armless people .......
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    Dear Marwa, I hope you are well and somewhere safe.

Your suffering has also been extended to some of our colleagues living in Australia.
    Pasted below is an email from one of our Australian/Lebanese architect and member of Architects for Peace.

Hi all,

I think you should check the following website a friend sent it to me. http://fromisraeltolebanon.info/

I have been living an absolute nightmare as the whole world is. I might say as a family we are few of the lucky ones who can escape wars but my heart goes to all the one who are stuck in this turmoil of violence and have nothing to do with any of it.

I am on the phone every night speaking to my mum and other relatives who are safe for the moment and far from the South. However, my sister had to leave by boat with her 2 girls and arrived in Atlanta 2 days ago after a 5 day trip. My youngest brother left to Jordan by taxi, and my other brother flew from Saudi Arabia via Syria and took his 2 kids back there...

kind regards,