This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Women in architecture

beatriz
edited July 2004 in - arch-peace forum
Architecture is a noble profession. Its values are liberal and humanitarian.
So why are seven out of eight UK architects men?
. Original article source: SPA (http://www.spa.uk.net/women_2.htm)
In Australia most practices are run by male architects, there may be a few female architects doing the job, but only few receive the acknowledment reserved to the "hero architect". But, are women interested in this type of status? What does being accepted in the "boys club" mean? Have you ever heard comments such as "she is one of the boys" and what does this mean?

Australia:
"although 30% of the architecture students in the Australian universities are female only 5% actually complete the program with a professional architecture degree. The majority of the women students opt for allied fields such as urban planning, landscape architecture, or interiors. At present, about 3% of the registered architect of Australia are women".
India
The percentage of women in India's architecture schools has increased steadily from 10% in 1970 to 50% in 1987. There are two notable architectural firms with husband and wife partners : Satnam & (wife) Namita Singh in Chandigarh and Akhila (wife) and Rarikumar in Madras. Another exceptional architectural partnership was formed by two sisters, Brinda Somaya and Ranjini Kalappa.
China
The percentage of women in practice in the People's Republic of China and in China's architectural schools is approximately 30%. In 1987 the Beijing Architectural Design Institute had 213 qualified architect, 34% of whom were women. Many of these women have won competitions, commissions, and awards for outstanding designs on major projects. A woman's Architectural Association in Beijing has 116 members.
Lebanon
Lebanon
Women in architecture reaches 17%

Source: Architecture au f

Comments

• Javiera
    edited January 1970
    As a planner, I've noticed many women draftspeople rather than architects. Actually, I hardly come across architects as unfortunately they don't represent the majority of our applications. I can sense a drafties plan from a mile, the most predominant feature being the lack of any sense of design. Neo-Georgans, go away!

When speaking to an architect or builders, I always get asked if they can speak to my boss, because 'he understands this type of project'. I think there is something fundamentally wrong when people don't trust women in design, decision-making or construction. As a planner I would be very happy to deal with more women in architecture: talking about good design, and having trust.
  • beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Why do women leave architecture?
    In July 2003, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) published the results of its research into the drop-out rate of women from architectural practice. This is the first research of its kind to have been completed. Carried out by the University of the West of England on behalf of the RIBA, the report found that a combination of factors, including poor employment practice, difficulties in maintaining skills and professional networks during career breaks and paternalistic attitudes, cause women to leave the profession. (...)

finbd more: RIBA - http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/Also/Education_2691.html
  • beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Why do women leave architecture?
    In July 2003, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) published the results of its research into the drop-out rate of women from architectural practice. This is the first research of its kind to have been completed. Carried out by the University of the West of England on behalf of the RIBA, the report found that a combination of factors, including poor employment practice, difficulties in maintaining skills and professional networks during career breaks and paternalistic attitudes, cause women to leave the profession. (...)

finbd more: RIBA - http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/Also/Education_2691.html

and more: Archsoc.com - http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/ArchWomen.html#report
  • Shelley
    edited January 1970
    As I woman and an architect this is a topic I feel very strongly about and always have.
    When I was a student (starting in 1990) I was concerned about becoming an architect in a male dominated profession.

Since I graduated (2000) I found I have an incredibly vast network of colleagues - and most of them are women! These include my first boss (who with three children of her own has been running her own practice for 20 years - presently an 8 person office with 6 women!) to many close girlfriends and fellow members of Architects for Peace.

I had a baby almost 1 year ago and far from this meaning I had to drop out of the profession (the reason often given for the low number of women architects in reports I have read over the years) this has enabled me to start my own practice and continue with more flexible hours at my previous workplace. Moving away from full time work had allowed me more time to persue volunteer work (such as that I undertake with Architects for Peace), installations and appear on presentation panels at University.

I could not think of a better time to be a woman and an architect!
    I don't believe the hype.
    I don't think I'm the exception to the rule.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    in this age of women who walk rubbing soulders with men i seriously feel being a girl student of architecture that the main concern to women generallt comes as our profession becomes more field oriented. in india where females have more responsibilty of family i think it antural tendency for them to jump in to planning and more of counselling eara of architecture.
    i personally feel that i would never find it easy to practice like any other commercial architect. as i resuly i would opt for a course in masters which would land me up in a staisfactory job where i equally foresee better earning options.
    but i think world doesnt lact such dashing and independint women i our field who have proven that architecture can be more sensitive if handled by women.
    in case of architect like zaha hadid no body can doubt her feminity through her bold design concepts.
    i agree to the present data of this sexually biased profession but its ultimately depends on ones aim and efforts as that is where man and woman fight equally.