This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Antarctica

"Maverick MP" Barnaby Joyce attempts to win friends by suggesting we dig up Antarctica. Possibly he is looking to the U.S's possible approval of Arctic drilling to lower petrol prices.
Barnaby Joyce : "There's minerals there, there's gold, there's iron ore, there's coal, there's huge fish resources and what you have to ask is: 'Do I turn my head and allow another country to exploit my resource ... or do I position myself in such a way as I'm going to exploit it myself before they get there'."
SMH 01.05.06

This "let's-bugger-up-Antarctica-before-anyone-else-thinks-of-it" idea should have the honourable member hissed out of his electorate. You would think that the fragility of Antarctica's climates and ecologies and the continent's importance to the world's future climate and water levels would be obvious enough by now, even to MPs.

Similar hard to believe words fell from the mouth of Senator John Thune (Republican of South Dakota), explaining why drilling for oil in the Alaskan arctic needs to start now.
"The American consumer is the one that needs the break today, and we need to be taking steps to make sure that they aren't emptying their wallet every time they fill their tank."
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/28/news/gas.php