This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

architectural education

Anonymous
edited December 2005 in - arch-peace forum
hey friends
i am a student of architecture in india.i think i am far behind from the style of education provided outside my country. AS a student of architecture we get different projects to work on like residensial building, motels,hotels etc. i am now in second year of my degree programme of B.ARCH. i am not getting knowledge about the different softwares used in my profession.i am in second year still i do designing work with ny hand i.e that is we are not using computers for designing purpose before we are in third year of degree. i am only familiar with autocad . our institutions should provide us with different techniques used in designing but they are not providing .
a few days ago an organisation gave a demonstration of the software called 'ARCHICAD' . i came to know that this software is on use from the last 20 years and still our institutes do not provide us with different softwares. when we work with our hands on sheets it wastes a lot of time.
i just want to ease the education system so that students should take keen interest and also enjoy there studies
[/b]

Comments

• beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Hi Komal,
    I am not sure that the students in Australia are exposed to much variety of CAD programs either. Most universities would - by general rule - have one program that they use, mainly AutoCAD – which is perhaps similar to what happens in your University.
    I believe this is the case of RMIT and Melbourne University (please someone correct me if I am wrong). Sporadically these universities try to introduce other programs. However, slowly the realisation that good computer skills do not necessarily make a good architect is starting to sink, and with this the emphasis on computer programs as the panacea.
    I understand that the University of Tasmania teaches ArchiCAD – I believe that this is the only one in the country (?). So while archiCAD is not the most commonly used program, those students literate in ArchiCAD have good chances to get those few archiCAD jobs.

Note: I have moved your post to the forum section which may be more relevant to this type of discussion