This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

restore our treasured New Orleans + marshes at the same time

Let's restore our treasured New Orleans
But we must restore natural marshes at the same time

"Years ago, when I was in Venice, I interviewed a civil engineer who was helping to design a complicated system of floodgates that would, he hoped, keep his city from being soaked periodically by the sea around it - the dreaded "aqua alto," or high water, that annually flooded the Piazza San Marco. Given that Venice, built improbably on pilings in the Adriatic, was subsiding at an alarming rate, thanks to the prolonged dewatering of coastal marshes, I was skeptical. Can you really hope to save it, I asked?" "New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen," warned an article in the October 2001 issue of Scientific American, drawing on research at Louisiana State University. What may have sounded like alarmism then seems chillingly on the mark today. Because the city lies below sea level, the article noted, in a bowl bordered by levees holding in Lake Pontchartrain to the north and the Mississippi River to the south and west, New Orleans has always been a fragile vessel."

From the Sept. 5, 2005, editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep05/353373.asp