This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

why is AFP different from other professional institutions?

beatriz
edited July 2005 in - arch-peace forum
why is AFP different from other professional institutions?

I am always greatly surprised to see the commitment of our members, the optimism and believe that we can improve the built environment and with this, the chance to achieve peace. Ambitious objectives and great sources for inspiration, friendship and dialogue.
While and am happy to see the results and to share with this type of professionals, I am puzzled as it demonstrates a huge void in our traditional institutions.
These are the characteristics of our organisation (not by design), which are not the main feature, or at least not in this degree in any other of our professional institutions.
Architects for Peace is:
    - A largely women driven organization - Members volunteer their work for free - Members are interested in the politics of urban development and believe in a holistic approach to the environment, natural and built. - Members care and are motivated by issues of social equity, justice and peace - Members are optimistic and self-driven - Friendship, trust, humility, openness and dialogue are the main characteristics.
In response to a guest in another forum (butterpaper), about wages and conditions among architects, I said the following:
    “CP The [architect’s] low public image is perhaps due to our lack of transparency and humility. If there are architects that tend to turn inwards, I wonder whether this is a reflection of our education, or/and reflection of the gender imbalance - nothing to be ashamed of, just something to consider and discuss openly. By the way, openness and humility may be some of the missing elements that, if present, could create a good and healthy image. I know many architects that do not turn inwards, great architects. Perhaps is time to turn outwards and discuss openly without the pretences and old behaviour patterns. While the RAIA should be a good platform to discuss these issues, the reality is that not all architects are members of this institution – for many reasons, including the high membership cost. A discussion inside the RAIA would not be inclusive of all architects.”
I would be interested to know your opinion in this matter - you can reply (below), or you can visit the original forum at butterpaper at: http://www.butterpaper.com/talk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=473