This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

is Federation Square a public space?

beatriz
edited July 2005 in - arch-peace forum
I was told that for the industrial laws' rally, Melbourne June 30, the demonstrators weren't allowed to enter Federation Square - could someone confirm this please?
If this was the case, it would rise serious questions regarding the privatization of the public space....

I haven't been able to find photos either, would anyone have some? and would you share them with AFP?

Comments

• peter_j
    edited January 1970
    Federation Square isn't exactly 'public'. Here's an excerpt from a web page explaining governance of land along the Yarra.
    Federation Square is privately owned by Federation Square Management, a proprietary limited company wholly owned by the State Government of Victoria.

Federation Square Management is responsible for managing leases at the site.

While a large portion is public space, the private ownership of the land means that Federation Square Management, in collaboration with local authorites (City of Melbourne and Victoria Police etc), plays a significant role in the day-to-day management of the space. Federation Square Management also has ownership of the former "vaults" area adjacent to Federation Wharf (formerly Princes Wharf).
    http://www.yarrariver.info/rivergovernance.htm

That explains why they used to have "Private Property" signs all over the place - I don't think the citizenry liked that. It is a bit odd that a proprietary company wholly owned by the public can be 'private'...

As far as use of the square as a rallying point goes - it would be disturbing if Fed Square security are selecting who can rally and who can't. Part of the justification for the alterations to City Square (ie turning it into a hotel forecourt) was that the city would have a new square at Fed Square. Apparently we don't 'have' it but we can use it (if behaving properly). If so then perhaps we are actually living in a democratic fiefdom?
  • beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Yes Peter, that is concerning. It is interesting and worrying that nobody (media) seemed to have noticed this situation... By the way, I was told by one of our members, that the reason why the demonstrators weren't allowed in the square was that Federation Square was already "booked" for a commercial or private event.

If this is the case, it would mean that now we have to pay for the use of the "public space". This would not only question the "value" of the public space (literally), but it would also mean that those who can pay, or can pay more, would have more right to it.
  • beatriz
    edited May 2006
    And Tim found the photo!!
    Take a look at the row of police on St Kilda Road side and cuting the path to the East of Flinders St. (right hand side of the photo) and barricading the access to St Kilda Rd. (bottom of the photo)
    protests.jpg
    (photo source: The Age -http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/2005/06/30/1119724738197.html)
    There were no speeches at Federation Square - the public was not allowed in, as a private event was taking place there.
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    The following out take is from http://www.activistrights.org.au/
    Using Federation Square

Federation Square Management Pty Ltd (FSM) is a private company wholly-owned by the State Government of Victoria and managing the operation of Federation Square on a commercial basis. FSM has a process and forms for obtaining permission to hire or use parts of the square on its website: www.federationsquare.com.au .

FSM advises demonstration organisers that they can choose one of the following options for demonstration at Federation Square (after checking availability of the Square with Federation Square Management):

Option 1. Make use of the space for the gathering of people. No charges will apply, public liability insurance is not requested and no venue agreement need be instigated. The protest organisers, however, will not be able to make use of Federation Square's event infrastructure (i.e. power, screen access) and may not install any temporary infrastructure of their own.

Option 2. Make an application to book the Square (as per application form on the website). Pay a venue hire fee appropriate to the use of the space requested and meet all the regular event management requirements to run an event in the Square. These include: signing a venue hire agreement; providing proof of public liability insurance; and providing appropriate event documentation. Use of power, existing sound systems and the large outdoor screen may also be negotiated under this arrangement.

http://www.activistrights.org.au/Particular_actions.asp

Option 1 sounds like it provides the leeway to allow an unbooked public protest. The problem is that Option 2 takes precedence. As visitors to the square will know, the square is often busy with commercial demonstrations of various sorts - not happy customers if a rowdy protest entered the square. This anarchist article describes one group of persistent protestors who are determined to make the square public.
    They don´t seem to understand that you cannot choreograph democracy to fit into their private commercial arrangements.
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~anarch/weekly.html

I vaguely remember when the Bracks Government started up Fed Square Management to take over from Kennett's Office of Major Projects. It seemed to make sense because of the complexity of this project to form a dedicated government office to oversee it. Its role appears to have morphed post-construction into something like a private shopping centre manager rather than a municipal manager.

The blurring of public and private space is cause for concern not just at Fed Square. I sometimes wonder what the story is at QV. There we have CIty of Melbourne laneways and a 'Square' (of sorts) but the whole block seems obviously in the private realm. Then there is the current version of City Square, which narrowly avoided being engulfed by the unwieldy Westin hotel. The use of raised landscaping, commercial tenants, and even moats, helps to repel crowds. The only square that is 'public' enough to allow for spontaneous large events is the area in front of the State Library.
  • beatriz
    edited January 1970
    Peter, what is interesting and sad, is that the general public does not know about this, in fact many of my students (architecture) would no distinguish between a shopping centre and a public space - they see no difference.

Tim, (who send me the photo), also pointed out that one of the unions in their website refer to July 30th demonstrations as taking place in Federation Square.

I have pasted below quotes from their news article, which I used in an email I sent to them regarding the article:

Article "NUW members join massive protest against IR changes", Thursday June 30, 2005, written by Matt Meir.
    "The conclusion of the speeches saw the massive crowd march down Swanston St to Federation Square. By mid-morning, the Square had become the epicentre for a protest stretching all the way back to the northern border of the CBD, where the march had first begun.

Federal Opposition Leader Kim Beazley addressed the crowd at Federation Square" (....)

"The Federation Square speakers also included Victorian Trades Hall Council Secretary Brian Boyd, and ACTU Secretary Greg Combet. "

In relation to the QV, we have also lost that public space. I acknowledge that, as a hospital, this was a service type of public space as opposed to open space - now is neither.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    It's funny that you say that... Living in the city, I often forget that QV is no longer a public, but now commercial space. It's disappointing - There is so much space in there that appears public and perfect for artistic performance, and I have never seen one busker or live theatre piece in there; what a waste!

The rumours I heard about Federation Square security kicking out the drunkards from Flinders Street at night was what really made me realise how selective they are of the people that walk in there. How convenient that they have covered their arses in their policy.

There was an excerpt from someone's paper posted in the AFP newsletter once about QV as a public space... Can anyone remember it?
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    Hi Rachel, this post at butterpaper gives some more thoughts on the relationship between QV and community.

http://www.butterpaper.com/talk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=124