This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Academy of Architecture for Justice Conference & Exposit

Academy of Architecture for Justice Conference and Exposition

November 2 - 5, 2005
Omni San Diego
San Diego, CA
    Call for Presentations

Conference Overview
    What is the role of criminal justice facilities in the urban environment? How have courthouses and jails grown and evolved within the city and suburbs? How are efficient criminal justice services provided in an urban setting? How do criminal justice facilities fit within urban planning principles? How can a courthouse or jail be an asset to the urban fabric rather than a liability? What role can technology play in alternatives to incarceration, alternatives to inmate movement, and increased operational effectiveness? How can facilities be both open to the public and resistant to attacks?
    (....)
    Find more details: http://www.aia.org/ev_caj_fall05_conf

Comments

• peter_j
      edited January 1970
      The changing nature of incarceration has a lot of architectural implications. I wrote a research report about it in the early '90s that was inspired by Mike Davis' book "City of Quartz" which in its later chapters examined the changes in Los Angeles at the time.
      Incarceration was a big industry then in L.A. and with advances in technology this was bringing about some strange outcomes - well then they were strange, now they're common place. These included the enforced divisions in L.A.'s Bunker Hill area where geography, landlords and surveillance had managed to create a border of sorts in the centre of town.

The deinstitutionalisation enabled by technolgy was also touched upon. Ankle bracelets could use mobile phone towers to pinpoint the location of a released felon so that they could be released but their movements could be restricted (unless they were happy to get an electric shock). Martha Stewart now wears one in her mansion I think. The advent of the gated community and its similarities to the gaol were also examined.

It would be interesting to learn what's been happening in the last 12 years there, if anyone happens to know...

I remember there was an interesting segment on the Comfort Zone a few years ago about gaols in Australia. I've found the summary but alas no transcript.
      http://www.abc.net.au/rn/czone/stories/s681523.htm