This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

The beauty of wind farms

The beauty of wind farms
16 April 2005
From New Scientist Print Edition. David Suzuki
David Suzuki is a scientist, broadcaster, author and chair of the David Suzuki Foundation (www.davidsuzuki.org)
    "OFF the coast of British Columbia in Canada is an island called Quadra, where I have a cabin that is as close to my heart as you can imagine. From my porch on a good day you can see clear across the waters of Georgia Strait to the snowy peaks of the rugged Coast Mountains. It is one of the most beautiful views I have seen. And I would gladly share it with a wind farm. (...) Pursuing wind power as part of our move towards clean energy makes sense. It is the fastest-growing source of energy in the world - a $6 billion industry last year. Its cost has dropped dramatically over the past two decades because of larger turbines and greater knowledge of how to build, install and operate turbines more effectively. Prices will likely decrease further as the technology improves. Are windmills ugly? I remember when Mostafa Tolba, executive director of the United Nations Environment Programme from 1976 to 1992, told me how when he was growing up in Egypt, smokestacks belching out smoke were considered signs of progress. Even as an adult concerned about pollution, it took him a long time to get over the instinctive pride he felt when he saw a tower pouring out clouds of smoke."

Continue reading this article at: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg18624956.400