This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Rally: Friday March 18- Because Occupation is not Liberation

Occupation is not liberation!
Opposing Australian war profiteers in Iraq

march05.jpg

Friday March 18, 2005
5pm State Library (Melbourne)

Indymedia Melbourne, 03/03/2005
Australian corporations have been well rewarded for their governments’ participation in the invasion and occupation of Iraq. A host of companies have received contracts related to oil infrastructures, communications technology, transport, food distribution and much, much more. Whilst relatively small compared to the major projects given to US and UK businesses, Australia’s corporate participation is by no means insignificant and Australia’s role in general has helped give legitimacy to the “coalition of the willing” and its brutal occupation.
As the Government prepares to send another 450 troops to the region mobilisations are being built for the 2nd anniversary of the Iraq invasion around the weekend of March 20th including a tram fare evasion action and rallies across the country.

Contact AFP if you would like to join us afp@architectsforpeace.org

Please go to your local Indymedia to find out about your city. Find links at AFP's link page- media.
Read more - Indymedia: http://melbourne.indymedia.org/index.php

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    I was disappointed at the Melbourne rally on Friday March 18th that there were only 4 members of Architects for Peace present. I strongly believe that in order for us to move forward as a group we must demonstrate a commitment to the cause of peace. The marking of 2 years since the beginning of the Iraq War was also the marking of 2 years since the establishment of Architects for Peace. It was a significant event.

From ‘our statement of purpose’:
    ‘Architects for Peace was established in the weeks preceding the bombing of Iraq, 2003. Our aim was to prevent Australian involvement in this war. Regrettably - in a country in which the government shows total contempt for the opinion of its citizens and in which the invasion of another country can be decided without consultation or parliamentary debate - we did not manage to achieve our goal. However, we have managed to bring together a group of urban professionals and students who share the same aspirations for peace.’
    From ‘we believe that’:
    As a professional group we can contribute and add to peace efforts, exercising the social responsibility of our professional role
    From ‘our actions’:
    Condemn and denounce the promotion of war

I think it is important to remind members of our purpose. I hope the next rally will see Architects for Peace and the cause of peace more strongly represented.

I appreciate that people chose to express their commitment to peace in many different ways and that demonstrating is not everyone's cup of tea. For those of you who do believe in the power of the public rally please join us at the upcoming May Day march. I will post more information and background on this event shortly.

Shelley