This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

[EOI] Melb Uni Arch School

peter
edited March 2009 in notices
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><font face="Arial" size="2"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">To Friends of the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning<o:p></o:p></span></font></b></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">It is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning international design competition.   This competition will select an architect or architectural team to design the replacement building for our Faculty, on the campus at the </span></font><st1:place><st1:placetype>University</st1:placetype> of <st1:placename>Melbourne</st1:placename></st1:place>. <o:p></o:p></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Following extensive consultation with friends of the Faculty, colleagues and international and local alumni we are delighted that this international design competition will put environmentally sustainable design at the forefront of its criteria and help us achieve our vision of creating one of the world’s leading architectural design centres.  <o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Our landmark building will embody the Faculty’s future focus, working from our strengths and reputation to engage in research and teaching known for its global outlook, risk taking innovation and the incubation of tomorrow’s industry leaders.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">This project has received the backing of the University community; this commitment is reflected by the role of the Vice Chancellor as the chair of the jury to select the architect. <o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The process will take place over two stages, the first being an open call for Expressions of Interest from which a short list of up to six practices or teams will be invited to submit additional material for consideration. The details of this process are explained in greater length on our competition website <font color="navy"><span style="color: navy;"><a title="http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/" href="http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/">http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/</a></span></font>. <o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><font face="Arial" size="2"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">Expressions of Interest are due on </span></font></b><st1:date year="2009" day="1" month="5"><b><span lang="EN-US" style="font-weight: bold;">Friday 1<sup>st</sup> May 2009</span></b></st1:date><span lang="EN-US" style="">. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I encourage you to consider this opportunity and to assist the Faculty in its ambitions by submitting an expression if you are qualified or forwarding this announcement to anyone who might be qualified and of the calibre appropriate to this distinctive opportunity.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">This announcement marks the beginning of our conversation with you.  Over the coming months I hope to meet many more of our constituents and encourage your engagement in our process of redefining the architectural and academic landscape or our institution and our wider community.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Yours sincerely,<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><o:p> </o:p></span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><o:p><br type="_moz" />
</o:p></span></font></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><font face="Arial" color="silver" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: silver; font-weight: bold;">Professor Thomas Kvan<o:p></o:p></span></font></b></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><i><font face="Arial" color="silver" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: silver; font-style: italic;">MA (Cantab) MArch (</span></font></i><st1:state><st1:place><i><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-style: italic;">Calif</span></font></i></st1:place></st1:state><i><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-style: italic;">) PhD (Open </span></font></i><st1:country-region><st1:place><i><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-style: italic;">UK</span></font></i></st1:place></st1:country-region><i><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-style: italic;">)<o:p></o:p></span></font></i></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><i><font face="Arial" color="silver" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: silver; font-style: italic;">CLTHE (HKU) FRICS CF<o:p></o:p></span></font></i></p>
<p style="margin-right: 4.9pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><font face="Arial" color="silver" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: silver; font-weight: bold;">Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning<o:p></o:p></span></font></b></p>
<b><font face="Arial" color="silver" size="2"><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: silver; font-weight: bold;">The University of </span></font></b><st1:place><st1:city><b><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-weight: bold;">Melbourne</span></font></b></st1:city><b><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-weight: bold;"> </span></font></b><st1:state><b><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-weight: bold;">Victoria</span></font></b></st1:state></st1:place><b><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-weight: bold;"> 3010 </span></font></b><st1:country-region><st1:place><b><font color="silver"><span style="color: silver; font-weight: bold;">Australia</span></font></b></st1:place></st1:country-region>

Comments

• peter
    edited November -1
    <p>Having perused the website a little more, I (and others) are concerned about a couple of aspects.</p>
    <p>1. That it was not an open design competition. EOI's were requested from firms with the proven capacity to produce a $90M building, cutting out everyone except the usual suspects.</p>
    <p>2. That sustainabilty is a high priority, yet they intend to demolish the existing architecture school and its neighbour so that a new building can be erected. That isn't really practicing what you preach.</p>