This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

When inspiration, expressed through out an architectural story: An Interview with India Mahdavi

<p><b>There is a very real controversy among architects about whether they can manage to create the space; India Mahdavi, is one, with no doubt, we may call her the story maker of the so called space! "Mahdavi centres her work on pure imagination.</b></p>
<p>The spaces she conceives are elegant, fluid and always tell a story in relation to the essence of their location..."; about Ten years is long enough for India Mahdavi, Paris based half-Persian architect and designer, to set up her own type of creation.... This is a short interview, I think that you would enjoy it.</p>
<p>Bahram: As I know, your father is Persian and your mother is Egyptian-English and your name is INDIA! Could we call it an internationally taste?!</p>
<p>India: This is correct. I was made in India, (thus my name) and do feel very international as I was raised in the US, germany, France and left iran when I was a few months old.</p>
<p>Bahram: Persians like to consider you as a Persian designer; does persian origin have any effacts in your jobs? Do you speak Persian?</p>
<p>India: Yek kam balladam,valli [I know a little, but] not enough to finish this sentence in farsi, but I feel farsi is within me and always recognise persians throughout the world wherever I am. Does this mean I am persian? I feel more nomadic and this does influence my work.</p>
<p>Bahram: Let me ask you what is the main leading concept you follow in your designs?</p>
<p>India: Every design is different. The main leading concept is to always tell a story....</p>
<p>Bahram: Let us know more about your architectural design process; how do you manage to create?</p>
<p>India: Inspiration, inspiration and inspiration! Bahram: You have been in Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, as we know many famous contemporary architects of Persia have been there too; Do you have any special idea on the architectural education locally and internationally?</p>
<p>India: I wouldn¹t necessary recommand l'ecole des Beaux-arts, and believe architecture education is much stronger in england, italy, swizerland, and the US. I do not keep such good memories of my studies at L'ecole des beaux arts even though I realise how lucky I have been to have such an opportunity.</p>
<p>Bahram: Do you know about Persian traditional and modern architecture and architects?</p>
<p>India: I am not so familiar with contemporary persian architecture as I do not see much in magazines. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw when I was last in Iran (10 years ago). During that visit, I went to Kashan to see the restored traditional houses with their beautiful gardens. So much to learn from them.</p>
<p>Bahram: any special massage for Persian readers?!</p>
<p>India: I would enjoy designing a project in Iran, a hotel most certainly...!</p>
<p><b>Link to original source: Aruna,  </b><a href="http://report-en.aruna.ir/archives/2008/Jan/10/1481.php"><b>http://report-en.aruna.ir/archives/2008/Jan/10/1481.php</b></a></p>