This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

when will graffitti become art?

the last post in chinese, is about the death of a very famous graffiti artist in hk, he died on 19 July 2007 at the age of 87.

he has been carrying out graffitti works around in hk (mainly within Kowloon) and he used only black ink, and he wrote in chinese (in vertical format). he called himself Kowloon King in all his graffitt works and thats what mae him famous.

in his works he criticise the politics and the government, both British (while Hong Kong was colony of Britian).

in his later years he was invited to be involved in a TV ad and earn some small amount of money, and then fame brought him another opportunity to work with a renouned fashion designer Tang Tak Chi (鄧達智) to have some of his graffitti as concepts in a new design in fashion.

there has been numerous discussion on whether his work would become a form of art, or then whether to be retained and protected -- what o you think?

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    thanks Edith, I would love to see his work, do you have a website link?
  • N
    N
    edited January 1970
    I recommend that you watch this film (if you can find it!):
    Next: A Primer on Urban Art
    You can check out the website for this film here:
    http://www.nextthemovie.com/links.html

It includes links to other "graffiti" artists around the world and I was fortunate enough to watch it for the Melbourne International Film Festival last year and the producer, Pablo Aravena did a pre-screening talk about it. There is a place for graffiti art in the realm of what is understood as art. I think it's really coming into its own across the world and many of the artists linked in that website (and in the film) have gone on to become artists whose works are being displayed in galleries.

Hope you enjoy those links!
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    Thanks N, this is a great link. We should have it in our links page.
    Would you or anyone know of a webased service to build a links page to which anyone can contribute? de.li.cio.us doesn't do what we need.

Back to the topic, I am looking forward to see the film.

Beatriz
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    it would be great to have such a web service! , but that might lead to abusion, :( as that happens to a lot of open web services of such...

picture of some of his works can be found here http://www.i611.com/phpbb/gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=10006&pos=1

have fun!

E