This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Scots Church car park

With some sadness I saw the blurry rendering of the recently approved office tower to be built on the corner of Russell Street and Little Collins Street in Melbourne. The church has been trying to milk this site for the last 10 years - it needs to be the cash cow that will pay for upgrades to their crumbling church on Collins Street.

Peddle Thorp architects have come up with something that looks glassy, boxy and heavily air-conditioned. Not unexpected I guess. I would just hope that this time someone at council has looked at the wind tunnel affects, the effects on the local shopping precinct, and considered the further deterioration of the low-rise rules meant to apply between Russell and Elizabeth Streets.

THE AGE 24.08.07

No mention here of what happened to the 5 star rating the previous scheme had:
THE AGE 19.09.02

According to City of Melbourne documents on the web, Heritage Victoria last year refused a demolition application:
"An application to demolish the car park was made to Heritage Victoria and referred to the City of Melbourne for comment in April. The Planning Committee decided not to oppose the application. The Executive Director, Heritage Victoria, has refused the demolition application and the applicant has appealed to the Heritage Council. The Minister has called in the appeal."

This document also states that the design for a 10 storey building was, "set back on the Russell Street frontage at upper levels in order to preserve views to the Scots Church." No mention of any set backs on the Little Collins Street side.

DPMC REPORT 2006 (PDF)

Comments

• peter_j
    edited November -1
    And so it happens: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/grocon-new-westpac-state-headquarters-in-collins-st/story-fn7j19iv-1226222273553