This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

RRR - worst 10 buildings?

Comments

• cabbie
    edited December 2008
    <p>@info, cheers....thats the one.....fantastic project......</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>re ito, two things....the pic above illustrates both.....the tacked on bracing for the upper part of the glazing...should have more of a flow, be more like the roof........and second coving the stone walls in the interior, loses the clean lines set up through the rest of the building......picky i know.....but still one of the 10 buildings of the year for me.....good choice HD......</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    I'm still wondering just how that roof was made cabbie.
    I've read descriptions how it was done.......but...by fcuk it would not have been easy.

contrast with bovis technology.
    not a lot of poche in ito.

don't mind the coving.
    since i drive my own vacuum cleaner i'm into eliminating dust traps.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ info - better if its done this year.
    got to have something to hope for next year.
    khoury guy must be into a main $ artery in lebanon.
    see what you mean about james bond.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ miles - hell yeah - thats a house(s).
    I got into that.
    australian architects and developers need to take a long hard fckn look at mselves.
    I like the way it could sorta go the other way too if you rotated it 90 deg.
    (early eisenman is this?). looks like a well worked out mass housing block.
  • kashmir
    edited November -1
    <p>It looks like an American war cemetary.</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    ^
    no lawn.
  • mark_melb
    edited November -1
    <p>kashmir. It looks like an american war cemetary with room for expansion.</p>
  • miles
    edited November -1
    this is a bad thing?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    ^
    no
    city cemetary is more interesting than country tomb?

correction on lawn. will have one.

---
    does this look like an arab village in germany?
  • cabbie
    edited December 2008
    <p>been at the rank for a while this morning and my favourite passenger is a no show......????</p>
    <p>i've been looking forward to the commentry on the lastest batch of offerings.....how dissapointing</p>
    <p>hd did you give him a bad hair do or has he decided to take the failing australian public transport systems....?????</p>
    <p>@hd re ito, i know its a crematorium, but i don't think they need to hose out the foyer....so why the coving.....hygiene is important in the salon and the cab....shouldn't a robust material be enough?....it makes mr ito not quite the zen master he is.....</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    ^
    something to do with the floor and walls being the same single masonry element.
    and the roof being a separate - tensile stretched thing?

purest bit of semper since mvdrohe (not talking mrvd).

contrast with raggarrrrrts rant on knots last century like a truck driver on amphetimines.
    a man who just looked at the pictures?

ito reads?

why do you want hague back stinking up your cab with his verbal souvlakis?
  • info
    edited November -1
    @cabbie- I reckon Ito has hit his sweet spot in the last few years - the crematorium is less building in the landscape and more .. well ... just landscape. Shiny mirror floor makes the space feel like a horizontal vagina. What a beautiful way to exit life as a puff of smoke.

@HD - ARM knots last decade were/are ugly - don;t care for the theory about it. Acton peninsula is one thing (and debatable) - pushing around the rest of the country is just pathetic. Don't mind an agreeable/disagreeable position pushed around - but a bloody knot.....bottle in the head for those boys.

The tide must be out at Straddie.
  • info
    edited November -1
    Alright punters, I am putting this up for #8 (presuming it was constructed in 2008).
    And #9 - UME for not publishing in 2008.
  • info
    edited December 2008
    #9.5 Patkau: Our Lady of the Assuption Parish Church.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: UME (issue 4, 1997) previously claimed that Patkau was to Canada what DCM was to Australia. A bit harsh, no?
    http://www.umemagazine.com/scrollSpreads.aspx
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ info. re #8
    is that the australian pavillion in venice.

@ info - not worried about ugly. or perverse.
    but don't much go for their partial take on semper.
    Building the wrong bit of the opera house in canberra did not move me.
    like the wrong bits of the opera house don't move me.
    you would have thought someone would have put their hand up and held out the bin.

as to ito - big skill to turn stone, glass and concrete into vapour.
    how old is he now? he's jacked it all up to another level.
  • cabbie
    edited December 2008
    <p>@info...couldn't agree more, it would be a fantastic place to be sent off into the ether.....</p>
    <p>while at the rank yesterday, passing the time at the newsagents, i was reading the latest issue of the c+a mag......guess what they are featuring mr ito and the crematorium.....so i am looking at the drawings and photos very carefully....and i spot one thing that i thought a crematorium should have, that this place doesn't....a stack for the fire place......????...and then it dawned on me....the clever bugger ito has probably used the poche space in the columns to conceal it, as with the downpipes........the japanese have got it all over us knot tyers....godfried would be proud.....between the swiss and japanese lessons could be learnt.....</p>
    <p>and info, that church above together with the chilean one from the hairdresser, i could just about become religious....</p>
    <p>well, so much for the xmas festivities, everyone must be walking or talking public transport, saving their money in tight times.....not many fares today....guess no one likes it when their cabbie talks back to them....i'm sure by friday it'll pick up....</p>
    <p>@hd...whats the list so far.....be interesting to line them up....</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ cabbie. smoke exhausts are through back wall. (has a service side against the hill).

re poche. would say it doesn't have any. columns are a perfect fit with the downpipes?

from what i can tell its fast set shotcrete on fabric reo (no forms). swimming pool construction?
    bet its shot from below and troweled off top and bottom.
    has a plaster finish coat both sides. old school marblesheen? - used to be used for pools as well.
    ground breaking thinking.

list is getting up there.
  • info
    edited November -1
    oops - looks like the Patkau option isn't yet complete - so it's out.
    #8 is a joke
    #9 UME not publishing in 2008 should still count as a contribution to architecture this year
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    hague is not an architect. UME is not a building.

it can't count info.

a contribution to architecture thread would be a good idea.
    here is an interesting contribution to architecture?
    courtesy google.

http://pagan-alliance.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=676&sid=cb912608362a38ba4a4794e9f909bacc
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    @ cabbie. list.

in no particular order.

Sean O'Cassey Community Centre. IR
    Fremantle House. AU
    McKenzie House NZ
    Church CHILE
    Crematorium JA
    Carabanchel Housing SPAIN
    No work by Godsell AU
    NAB Brisbane AU

• simon seasons
    edited December 2008
    <p>a contribution to architecture thread would be a good idea.</p>
    <p>here is an interesting contribution to architecture? </p>
    <p>courtesy google.</p>
    <p>http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/architecture-design-theory-news-discussions/9908-glenn-murcutt-awarded-2009-aia-gold-medal.html</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    <p>^ old news kook. it was on the news in an another era. for his past achievements? why don't you [xxxxxxxxx] on the freshly ploughed paddock your trying to get your turnips to grow in.</p>
    <p>[xxxxxxxxxx > reference to fireside activities chopped by admin]</p>
  • simon seasons
    edited November -1
    <p>Do I detect a hint of jealousy. Did no one give you a gold medal this year? You might never get one talking like that.</p>
    <p>I certainly detect a hint of bigotry. I may be what I am but it has nothing to do with what ever it is you wrote that I should piss off back to. There are plenty of misguided fruits on that forum, but if you bother to read what I have written there you will notice that I am about informing and enlightening. As I am here. You have my respect because your insults don't bother me, but your ignorance does.</p>
    <p>I have never determined one of you to be anyone else or all of you, or to be some debased form of amoral creature as you describe me above. If you think that is what a Pagan is then you are ignorant that the Greeks who built the Parthenon were Pagans, and that the classics that Leonardo and Michelangelo referanced to create the Rennaisance and so save western culture from total mediocrity were Pagan documents and art and architecture, from Pagan cultures. </p>
    <p>You don't know that because you don't know architecture. Sure you know the latest styles like an avid footy card collector knows players, but you know nothing of fundamentals if you dont know why the Campidoglio is important to Frank Ghery's or Ito's existance. Instead of going "?huh? what's the f-wit talking about now", like some footy head, why don't you try google and find out why the Campidoglio is so important to all modern architects? </p>
    <p>Why wont you?, because then you might find out that it is you who is the f-wit, that why!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @merlin - the yanks love him.
    I understand that as a nation they would like to pat kangaroos too.
    they also said there were WMDs in iraq and glazed it over.
    impeccable authority?

if i want enlightenment i've got a light switch on my shop wall.
    i find its better for my eyes than candles.

re your one and only coffee table topic.
    murcutt's son gives his father a hiding in the architecture stakes.
    got more than one boring plan up his sleeve.

i'm gonna stick nick murcutt up for the list.
  • simon seasons
    edited December 2008
    <p>I don't recall the AIA having anything to do with Iraq, and I do recall the last general election in America telling us what they think of the WMD scandle.  As usual, your long bow is drawn too far.</p>
    <p>I can hardly consider news of an award that is yet to be presented 'old news'. If you mean his buildings are old news then you reveal yourself belligerant again as you seem to be unaware of the nature of timelessness.</p>
    <p>I like Nick Murcutts work a lot too actually and you'll notice a few collaborations with dad if you can bare to look in that direction. Oohh but the list, the list. What ever will I do now, he's on the list.</p>
    <p>And you really should tone down your sexual abuse patter. It is extremely uncouthe.</p>
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November -1
    @SS you never cease to amuse
  • miles
    edited December 2008
    <p>@hd. up with you there. had a quick stick for slick nick. dont think neeson murcutt had much come out of the ground this year. any clues? the one thing young nick is far superior at to the old man is [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx].</p>
    <p>[xxxx = Yet Another Edit by Admin]</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    ^
    i just ruined a customers hair reading that one. ha ha har.

was thinking that little murcutt neeson house that was an apartment put on the ground.
    but i think it was 07. the lad proves sydney does have a sharp edge.
    gotta look it up.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ merlin.

are you saying sheep follow you round the paddock at night?
  • simon seasons
    edited December 2008
    <p>@b-n. If one can't be informative, then be amusing, as it comes to much the same thing.</p>
    <p>@hd. No I am saying that you seem to have some sort of pathological sexual issue that needs addressing because you're cyber abuse is predominantly focused on sexual activities.  It might be something as simple as mommy wrenched you off the tit too early, but it could be something altogether more invidious. Try sexual abuse counselling, as it's getting ugly. You too Miles. You've both scored most of Peters cyber xxxxx's</p>