This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

RRR - worst 10 buildings?

Comments

• sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>ss - ur not even a good functionalist - the shelter doesn't shelter - the homeless would do better under a bridge or in a doorway.</p>
    <p>thankfully, godless's fee / royalty made the project unfeasable</p>
  • kashmir
    edited November -1
    <p>However CUB turns out Gaudiless will be cashed enough to never work again and eternal to every future design student that RMIT shits out.  CUB will be swiss cheese crafted of photovoltaic sun tracking leaves.  Who cares if it works after the money and awards have been exchanged.  CH2 anyone?  He should be left alone with his rusty shopping cart clad cow pats.</p>
  • simon seasons
    edited November -1
    <p>@ hd. No, i am not suggesting you leave, remove or include anyone on your list. I am saying that it's a subjective list and that it says nothing about the architecture and everything about your personal taste. It is therefore a useless list to anyone but yourselves.</p>
    <p>Witness andrews assesment of the penisula house' suitability to its siting and his subsequent opinion that it was not worth including in the list, when simply from the photo supplied i could make a preliminary assesment that is was suitably sited and his subsequent concession and amendment to his opinion that the internal layout was now at fault. Well I only have his word to take for that at the moment and frankly I think it is pretty subjective. What else has been left off the list because you and others don't like what may in fact be.... who cares.</p>
    <p>it is your list of desires. It's like a list of top ten cars or bow ties of chuppa chup flavours.</p>
    <p>If my commentry on the failings of your sacred list irritates you, imagine my irritation at your commentry on my alleged failings and I realise, well if your opinion of Godsell and Murcutt and any other hard working architect for that matter, is that far off the mark, I really don't have anything to be irritated about.</p>
    <p>Your problem therefore is that your irritated with me but you can't cope with the notion that you might have to shift your own position, in any way at all, to get relief. And i am not being crude, unless that is the terms in which you already deal.</p>
    <p>@The point is sod, before they had the choice of under a bridge or in a doorway. If it went ahead they'd have two more choices of a seat and a covered bed. And yet you'd begrudge that? why? taste, political persuasion, a passionately held opinion about the designer?</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    ^
    so are u coming out and you r hague bec?
    --------------------------

witness....(follow with) blah de blah.
    hot love for gaudiless and murcat.
    (thanks for update on not gaudy one kashmir).
    referencing chuppa chups.
    b b q chat on giovanni ramona.
    pulled off your pooh too soon hate of subjectivity.
    torn from your mothers tit love of objects.
    use of the quaint anachronism "sacred".
    punchline - its just your stylistic preference.

--------------------------------------
    ringing like the hairdresser's old shop phone.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    this response should be good.... chuppa's a dead giveaway.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    cant endorse the attempt to 'out' a fellow punter BUT when was haig on the architects? or maybe he's never been asked and this is sour grapes?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    - who else would think an internet forum was a lecture theatre?
    tell me miles. ha ha ha.

sour grapes - or just having trouble adjusting to retirement?
  • simon seasons
    edited November -1
    <p>suck, suck, crunch, crunch. hmm. it's a worry.</p>
    <p>I had no idea that post modernist university educations included an architecture degree with no analysis of the differance between subjectivity and objectivity. Obviously that was considered to have been dealt with in some high school playground.</p>
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    <p>ss - doesn't keep the rain off the bum is a good reason. you being a functionalist retard should appreciate that.</p>
  • miles
    edited November -1
    Generally the emphasis is on showing the working drawings. Photographs of the buildings are intentionally in black and white (often as duotones) rather than colour, in order to present designers’ ideas in as abstract a manner as possible. to clarify the design intentions without diminishing appreciation of the constructive logic underpinning works, and their materiality.....
    .....architecture is particular to its place and time; it finds its form through typology and its aesthetic expression through tectonics.
    Architectural editing and publishing constitutes a cultural act for us. Architectural magazines – whether hardcopy or online – have the potential to provide a crucial intermediary step in the progression of ideas from hypotheses to theories to built demonstrations.....we foster and direct architectural research. We play our part in the greater architectural discourse through the selection of architectural works and texts, the writing of critiques, and the promotion of theoretical propositions and practical demonstrations
  • miles
    edited November -1
    @hd the above
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    ^
    its him. no doubt about it.

"high school playground" is another one.
  • info
    edited November -1
    @HD - here is a link to the Wellington House with extra photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petraalsbach/sets/72157594572387467/

I don't think it does enough to move past the 'container' tag.
    Actually, it is marketed as such - which is a pity because it binds it to all the other Lego approach to container re-use projects (and it is worth more). Unclear what the point of the hill is - apart from presenting a steep site.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    @info you got shares in nero wolf or something?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ hague bec.

so your saying the young should transfer from architecture to law, graduate, join the advisory support staff at a trade union before entering federal politics via the ALP after establishing class cred to pursue a program of consumer choice for the homeless.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    hague bailleu more like it
  • info
    edited December 2008
    @miles - ha ha - no shares - unfortunate 'cause I need a better income than this shite uni is paying me
  • info
    edited December 2008
    <p>#7 anyone?</p>
  • cabbie
    edited November -1
    <p>@ss...i have to listen to schmucks like you all day distrupting my air conditioned traquility..i like the urban environment thats why i drive a cab...</p>
    <p>these gentlemen are having an interesting conversation leave it alone...i for one am enjoying what is being presented.....</p>
    <p>flick your flw cape and receed back into the shadows...alternatively present buildings.....not semantics.....</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>@info.....to much like a tupperware building that thing in nz......a bad cultural copy/appropriation of rewi thompson's own house from a few years back....(sorry no pic)......<a href="http://www.architectureandhygiene.com/main.html">adam kalkin</a> in the us does containers, no one else should.....</p>
    <p>and as for seany....he should've focused more on getting out of the reserves when at the saints.......</p>
    <p> </p>
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    back to subjective shopping list - gut feel counts for mores than reasonable.

hairdresser likes curls.
    too many straight heads of hair in japan.

lucky #7.
    toyo ito meiso no mori crematorium.
    ito = #1 san?
  • info
    edited December 2008
    <p>sumo inspired curves?</p>
  • info
    edited December 2008
    <p>Here is one by Bernard Khoury - in Lebanon: <a href="http://www.bernardkhoury.com/projectDetails.aspx?ID=217">http://www.bernardkhoury.com/projectDetails.aspx?ID=217</a></p>
    <p>Nearing completion - or does it have to be completed within 2008?</p>
    <p>This will turn up in a 007 film at some point.</p>
  • info
    edited November -1
    <p>@cabbie - is this the thompson house you mean?</p>
  • miles
    edited December 2008
  • info
    edited December 2008
    ^ are you suggesting #8?

ALso - the Khoury project: that big hole in the section is a pool that lets off steam through the oculus. THe site was formerly bombed out by the Israelis. Fleeting stuff on a grand scale.
  • miles
    edited November -1
    bigger picture
  • info
    edited November -1
    sweet Miles - any plans?
  • kashmir
    edited November -1
    <p>that gives me an anxiety attack.</p>
  • info
    edited November -1
    Another TOyo Ito image from inside the Crematorium.
    toyo.jpg 185.5K
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    @ miles
    have not seen that morphosis.
    must look into it. normally haven't jumped at their work before.
    as per kashmir - gets the anxieties up.
    pleasant sensation after a decade of neo numbness.

@ info - thanks for pic.
    in that image ito is mvdr?
    bit like johnny depp was william blake.