This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

St Kilda pier kiosk

2»

Comments

• mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    Kiosk opens this week. A hollow victory for the Port Philip wowsers and neocons.........
  • mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    ..........and yet another place to get $5 fish and chips at $17.50..........
  • mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    And an Institute citation. They will be giving awards to Metricon next.
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    I found myself at the RAIA awards on Friday and must admit to yelping involuntarily when the heritage award was announced.

Interesting though that a brand new building can now win a heritage award in Melbourne. Maybe they should be called the nostalgia awards.
  • mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    Maybe next year 'they' can give a special award to Daniel Grollo?
  • mark_melb
    edited November -1
    http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=725&storycode=3125500&c=1&encCode=0000000001852f79
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited October 2008
    no winners there mark
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November -1
    Incidentally they seem to have forgotten to build the first floor lean-to's?
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>I don't remember those lean-tos - maybe they fell off before it was burnt down?</p>
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November 2008
    No- must confess I don't recall them either, and am rather glad they didn't feel the need to add them. The little one on the left side is quite quaint though with its circular attempt to fit in.
  • mark_melb
    edited November -1
    <p>..................the winners in St Kilda were the conservatives though.</p>
  • Sean
    edited November -1
    <p>The leantos were 1950s add-ons that were fortunately removed in the 1980s

I am probably one of the St Kilda Conservatives that mark_melb is talking about.  Personally I would hate to have seen something as distinctive as the Pier Kiosk completely replaced with something as banal as the black rectangle they subsequently erected behind the reconstruction.</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited November -1
    @ sean.
    I got nothing against black rectangles per se.
    but it helps if an architect is involved rather than a typing service.

nevertheless maybe like you I am a happy conservative when it comes to reconstructions.
    the japanese do it with temples believably.
    ..... I might need more convincing when it comes to ice cream shops.
  • sod
    sod
    edited November -1
    the job should have been a straight forward rebuild, nothing wrong with a faithful reproduction - are there any architects with the decency to not intervene when doing nothing is a well considered position to take up.
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November 2008
    <p>Thanks Sean, prior to my time bayside.</p>
    <p>It is a bit of a shame, the hidden black rectangle. Call me conservative, but I do like rebuild, (@HD) such a delightful slice/spoonful of confection (apt possibly), despite Shinto shrines and, in my experience, reconstructed memories of Singaporean Shophouses.</p>
    <p>That said, I would have been an interested competitor in what could have been a great design competition.</p>
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November -1
    <p>Apparently new sea baths to go along side the pier (more on that later...)</p>
  • mark_melb
    edited November 2008
    <p>..............ah yes. Now I see why the City of Port Philip has the council it has. Democracy is a dangerous thing.</p>
  • b_n
    b_n
    edited November 2008
    <p>The Kiosk rebuild had nothing to do with democracy: within days of the fire Bracks pledged state money to reconstruct it, almost before people had a chance to think something different could be built. Debate began after the decision had been made. </p>
    <p>The Triangle would seem to show the danger in democracy; like the proposal or not, we'll see what a watered down version, designed by committee, looks like when and if those, drunk on their democratic right of denial, get themselves elected.</p>