This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

wage fixing

yobitch
edited November 2007 in architecture
I am not informed enough to comment on the rating system but suspect I know a thing or two about being exploited. :( What was previously just a distant rumour about a wage fixing cartel amongst eminent architects in Melbourne now seems confirmed on many fronts :shock: - a director of one practice claims that 15 of the "top" practices exchange wage parity, one participant tells prospective staff of the existence of this at interviews, an accountant for one practice confirms that this exists, one staff member at one practice intercepted a fax (that's how long it has been going on) which stated the figures being compared between 5 practices at the time.An acquaintance who was a practice manager at a large practice confirmed that they constantly maintained parity with another large office. :wink:
Some questions - Given what is ongoing regarding Visy and Amcor, is this legal ?Should there be class action ? If this is widely known is it still exploitative when so many people (including staff) do not resist it? Would it do more damage than good to the prospects of architectural opportunity for everybody if this was proven and publicly exposed ? Should the RAIA act on this or is it complicit ?

Comments

• Phil
    edited January 1970
    Yobitch - Please tell me you are kidding in an employee driven market. practices are that competitive, cut throat and suspicious of each other that to achieve what you are suggesting happens would require a major cultural change. Go get a job in the mines. If you seriously want to discuss this isue I suggest you open your own topic in here and make sure you get some legal advice first
  • Phil
    edited January 1970
    Yobitch - Please tell me you are kidding in an employee driven market. practices are that competitive, cut throat and suspicious of each other that to achieve what you are suggesting happens would require a major cultural change. Go get a job in the mines. If you seriously want to discuss this isue I suggest you open your own topic in here and make sure you get some legal advice first
  • hairdresser
    edited January 1970
    yobitch - the topic is not wage awards.
    though your hip pocket mind keys with the subject - perversely.
  • yobitch
    edited January 1970
    Yes I was off on an unsolicited tangent triggered by the word 'exploitation' at the split ends of the Hairdresser's tresses but was also responding to the implied accusation that local criticism is infiltrated too often by what the Americans call 'logrolling' - mutually satisfying back-rubbing suggesting corruption.I was not motivated by the hip pocket, I wanted to be direct (but not direct enough to be sued off the planet-or at least the Melbourne splice of it) about actual corruption-as defined by current legislation-and sound out to colleagues that this is going on - act or not ?

And to the Adelaide correspondent, I imagine the coalition of the more-than-willing is not motivated by competitiveness amongst each other, it is united against employees who claim any stake into their fat baby-boomer super-slush-retirement-funds.It is the anti-competitiveness that would be demonised by the courts.Any consequent lack of action will not save the planet like the Green-star ratings might contribute to, but will perpetuate structural inequity for just that bit while longer.

As a friend says "why are architects the only profession that shits into its own nest?" even when it might have lost its stink ?
  • Phil
    edited January 1970
    Yobitch - 15/11/07

Hairdresser is spot on your life is yours so deal with it - stop whinging and move if you dont like your employer......Don't think I would like you working in my office and given the great team I have I think they would fall on you like a ton of bricks.

I think you are the kind of person who believes the moonwalk was filmed in a studio, Harold Holt was kidnapped by the Chinese, Elvis is still flipping hamburgers and Kennedy was assiniated by the FBI.

This is an open forum and in the words of someone I will defend your right to express a view but if you want to do this set up your own forum topic and see what response you get..

I hope the Moderators are following this and show you how
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    I can pluck the cartel-related posts out and make a new topic if yobitch is ok with this. This one is going off on tangents.
  • Phil
    edited January 1970
    Good Plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - - thanks Peter
  • yobitch
    edited January 1970
    Thanks Moderator.
    My notes should not be mistaken for a personal whinge about my work conditions-I can look after myself. I find these rumours of wage fixing cartels disturbing and would happily be proven wrong but would like to test the air to see if there is any substance to them. :shock: :shock: