This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Klu Klux Klan and Australia: The Ignorance Shroud

N
N
edited August 2007 in - arch-peace forum
The Saturday/Friday news is in and Australian soldiers were caught on camera dressed as members of the KKK, by and large a "terrorist" group. How on earth does hate get justified as "a bit of fun by some guys" that should be ignored?
The Herald Sun has a very interesting comments string which is worth looking at.
Shock horror!!!! Who cares. They are having FUN.... F _ U _ N - remember that word???? I agree with Max - focus on the culture that seems to hate ALL other cultures.

Posted by: PRO FUN of Melbourne 1:15pm today
I honestly cannot beleive what the fuss is about? Have we become so "precious" as a society that we cannot express ourselves anymore? With the intensive training the troops take part in, is it wrong to let off some "steam"? There was only 2 very brief flashes of the KKK outfit, not several as the story says, so what? It is because they are white anglo saxons that they are getting grilled for this, if they were another nationality would we still be talking about this? I think not for fear of being labelled racist - its the "in" thing these days to criticize white angle saxons, whilst muslims get away with hate filled preaches in their mosques.

Posted by: Max Fedcesen of Melbourne 11:22am today

I'd like like to know how you feel about this. Is it because Australia does not have a recognised KKK membership? Would this be tolerated in America where the history of the KKK and their abhorrent behaviour would have already been lambasted in the media?
It worries me that people sympathise with these young men dressed as members of the KKK who may/may not know (highly doubtful that they do not know) the history of race hate in America.

Sorry to get on the soapbox again but really, of all organisations to claim to be a part of I can't think of many more disgusting than the KKK.

LINK:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/comments/0,22023,22191136-661,00.html

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    And did you notice that the military head officers were appalled and more apologetic than the Prime Minister? Unfortunately we have the worst possible role model for Australian youth.
    Karl