This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

how prison architecture played role in social development

Anonymous
edited January 2007 in - arch-peace forum
can we have a discussion on prison architecture? security concerns and the architectural built envronment.

Comments

• peter_j
    edited January 1970
    What aspects did you want to discuss?
  • N
    N
    edited January 1970
    Hi Kashmakash,
    I found this article online from the June 2005 Architectural Record (New York) issue that might help this discussion get started:
    Prison design boycott aims to slow growth of correctional facilities

Protesting what it calls the moral bankruptcy and rampant growth of our nation's prison system, San Francisco-based Architects/ Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility (ADPSR) has organized a boycott on the design, construction, and renovation of U.S. prisons.

The group, which has about 300 members, began the boycott in September 2004 and has signed up just over 300 participants, most of them in the design fields (not all members of ADPSR). The group's president, Raphael Sperry, an architect at 450 Architects in San Francisco, says participants can help voice disapproval of the prison system's treatment of inmates, and its inherent racial and social inequalities. But he points out that the effort is meant most of all to help stem the incredible growth of prisons in the U.S. Sperry claims prison populations have grown almost sevenfold in the past 30 years, while he estimates that at least half the prisons in this country were built during that time.

Sperry says he doubts the boycott will quickly halt the creation of new prisons, noting that if architects stop work, then prisons could enlist engineers to construct them. But if the boycott takes hold, he says, the lack of new prisons will force officials to enact prison reform "instead of using prisons as a one-size-fits-all solution to social problems." He adds, "If we keep increasing the number of prisons, we'll never be able to deal with the real problems that lead to crime." He is quick to point out that the goal of the boycott is not, however, to let dangerous criminals out of jail.

Whether the boycott succeeds or not, Sperry, who emphasizes that he doesn't blame architects for prisons' problems (he notes most are trying to improve conditions but are part of a flawed system), is confident that the voice of architects could slowly begin to sway public opinion against the system and the proliferation of prisons. "If we want to realize our vision for what the built environment should be like, we need to take leadership," he says.

Edward Spooner, chairman of the AIA's Academy of Architecture for Justice, says that while he admires Sperry's desire to take a stand on prison issues, he calls the boycott a "disservice."

"To abandon our clients and not build new facilities will have a disastrous effect on individuals who are inside," he says, noting that fixing the system's problems is a better idea than walking out on it.

"If I were to advocate something, I'd advocate building facilities that deal more effectively with the issues that the prison population is in the facility for." This includes a stronger focus on education, vocational training, and treatment services.

Spooner, who questions Sperry's figures (noting that prison-population increases keep up with overall population increases), adds that those involved with prison design and the prison system itself are doing everything they can to remedy problems. "This is a group of people with real understanding of the problems of prisons, and a sincere desire to do the best job they can. I don't think that the best job they can do would be to let all these people out on the street."

It seems to be a complex issue which, to me, is really just over the heads of alot of architects and designers. Like Sperry says in the article, if architects won't do it then engineers will. I can actually imagine that there are some architects who would take prison design jobs because government jobs are always lucrative and I think some firms are happy to cut their losses and just do it for the money.

Spooner is correct, as painful as it is to admit it, when he says that a boycott isn't going to help the matter and rightly so because 1000s of criminals let out on the street is just not an option.

My brother worked for an engineering company that did a fair few prisons around the world and from what I gathered there is alot of money being spend by private contractors to build these prisons. The money is there and that already has the potential to change the way the prison system works.

I don't think limiting the number of prisons will help reduce crime, it will just make more room for it in society. Some inmates are beyond rehabilitation and rightly so should serve thier time. I don't know much about crime stats but I would not be surprised if a majority of inmates are in jail for crimes of desperation or came from socio-economic backgrounds that had placed these individuals in a position to commit these crimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "security concerns". Do you mean localised concerns like what gets built around a jail site or do you mean "security concerns" as in political concerns like Guantanamo Bay?
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    I just came across your discussion, coincidentally there is a big controversy here in town around the proposal to build a new county jail. Part of the controversy is, of course, location; but it seems that the County has already tied a deal regarding the site and the political battle concentrates now on the financing of the project.

Here is where I found your discussion interesting and to the point, because, other County high profile projects have demonstrated poor escrutiny of the costs of design and actual construction of a facility. Location is an issue to take in account, after all, this type of facilities are not commendable job centers, nor are centers likely to generate any cultural or educational activities - so, why to place it right in the heart of the city?-

I guess, the question is how do you integrate a detention facility into the fabric of a region, not necessarily of a city. How, via design that can be accomplished so that these centers (detention facilities) can become productive ( therefore launch opportunities for reintegration of some inmates into society) rather than the "black holes" that they appear to be at the present time?
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    i m a guest user and posted this topic.In india now open jail is a well accepted idea,i recently visitrd two jails (open),interviewed some prisoners. Now many people are asking me that how architecture is related to a system like jail or prison?.but itself in the question lies another question (if u reflect on it), can architecture play key role in social issues, or can architecture play a role at grassroot level.or how architect can improve prisoners life by creating 'buildings'.
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    Tricky one but a common one. Do you take the gaol commission and do your best to make it a livable space, or do you stand aside and question the industry of incarceration generating all these lucrative prison jobs, an industry which is a lot bigger than it should be.

I've noticed that companies chasing these sorts of projects are of a size that you could wonder if they've lost their ability to collectively think about things like this. Their multi-headed corporate structures allow a mindset that is confined to business and getting ever more work.

Perhaps it is unfortunate that the work goes to ISO accredited mega-practices, as many of these projects seem under-considered. Can anyone think of think of a well-designed gaol built recently?

If it is well-designed, then who is it well-designed for? Here's an article about a "jail tower" extension to the Fort Bend County jail in the U.S. The gaol seems to have been designed outside in - meaning that local residents concerns about noise have dictated that the outdoor recreational yards be internalised. This requires a degree of architectural craftiness to pull off. The legally required natural ventilation will be mechanically assisted. The legally required natural sunlight will arrive through acoustically insulating glazing. Imagine how it will be for the inmates to live without the opportunity to look up into an open sky?!
    HERALD COASTER 11.04.07

I had a look at a few of the other prisons coming out of this office. Have a peek for yourself:
    http://www.rosser.com/lubbock.htm

RELATED LINKS:
    PRISON DESIGN BOYCOTT CAMPAIGN
    DRUG WAR CHRONICLE 06.04.07
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    what cold be the physical and metaphysical aspect of freedom?

'man is essentially honest and good but will respond similarly if treated like he is so.'

when i talked with them, some prisoners replied that going back means the toughest punishment.many questioned me (prisoners) how a built environment will take care of the reformatory aspects? how could form and space improve the 'identity' of a prisoner.If there are any chances of interaction between society and prisoners at some points.