This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

"Take Pictures - Show The World The American Democracy&

"Take Pictures - Show The World The American Democracy"
By Ghaith Abdul-Ahad
15 September, 2004 - The Guardian

It started with a phone call early on Sunday morning: "Big pile of smoke over Haifa Street." Still half asleep I put on my jeans, cursing those insurgents who do their stuff in the early morning. What if I just go back to bed, I thought - by the time I will be there it will be over. In the car park it struck me that I didn't have my flak jacket in the car, but figured it was most probably just an IED (improvised explosive device) under a Humvee and I would be back soon.
On the way to Haifa Street I was half praying that everything would be over or that the Americans would seal off the area. I haven't recovered from Najaf yet.

Haifa Street was built by Saddam in the early 80s, part of a scheme that was supposed to give Baghdad a modern look. A long, wide boulevard with huge Soviet high-rise buildings on both sides, it acts like a curtain, screening off the network of impoverished alleyways that are inhabited by Baghdad's poorest and toughest people, many of whom are from the heart of the Sunni triangle. (...)

Find this article: The Guardian - http://www.countercurrents.org/iraq-ahad150904.htm