This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Vic. Government Architect

peter_j
edited December 2005 in architecture
Victoria has not had a government architect or a Public Works Department for donkeys. So with some excitement, the new position of Victorian State Architect was announced in an 'exclusive' by The Age yesterday. John Denton will take on the Government Architect role for a state government that needs a bit of help in that area. As RAIA Vicoria chapter president Rob Stent says, the Bracks government has, "displayed an inability to grapple with design issues". The Age also states that, "[Denton] will head a new government design unit based in Premier Steve Bracks' office." Could get a bit cramped in there.

THE AGE 16.12.05

Planning Minister Rob Hulls has been exploring the possiblilties for reinstating a government architect since April. Im a speech at Federation Square he saw a need for the role.
A Government Architect could build on our design reputation, as well as advise on and promote design excellence in both Government and private sector projects.

I envisage a Victorian Government Architect could also provide leadership on built environment, urban design and heritage issues; undertake brokerage of design solutions and outcomes; promote Victorian architecture nationally and internationally; encourage high standards and innovative designs for public buildings and promote public art in buildings and public spaces.

This role could also be instrumental in promoting design excellence and innovation on issues including green building design and building access. Work with State and Local Government to establish Urban Design Frameworks for Transit Cities, Activity Centres, and major complex projects could also be a key part of this role.

One can't help wondering how the Shard incident at Federation Square would have played out with a government architect whispering in the premier's ear? And hey, maybe now government departments might start seeking architects on criteria other than bank balance and prior experience - you know, maybe take into account things like... design ability.

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    For the reasons stated above and for others I was greatly relieved that they have chosen John Denton who I would have faith could rise above self interest and distributing favours unlike the rumoured other candidates who would have handpassed work to whiny babyboomers who have conveniently forgotten that they were effectively subsidised during the 1980's with government work (they now complain about "do nothing Labor governments" but take whatever grants are available).Better catch my breath.In my experience departments of the State Government (particularly education) have not just been neglectful of architecture they (and their appointed project managers) have been actively anti-architectural.I look forward to the quality of architecture offered by candidates as THE major criteria for successful selection and this would include younger architects who may not have had the chance to build much or at all but can demonstrate a commitment to architecture.Why is there such a preponderence of young Dutch architects? Because their government gives them opportunities.Unlike some of the elders in this town who have stated " young architects now just want to build houses for rich people".Self-serving and ugly.The enemy is out there and they are all over 50!
  • Cal
    Cal
    edited January 1970
    Melbourne is to me what Holland is to you...
    Just a commment from Perth... ..... zzzzzz (snore)