This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Maximizing Small Spaces

Anonymous
edited August 2005 in architecture
hello all!

i am currently working on my dissertation of how to maximizing small spaces (e.g. apartment...).

I am adopting both the idea of illusion and internal spaces flexibility through the composition of architectural elements (e.g. folding partition...)

I need you guyz helping of suggesting any precedent or designer who works with the folding stuff? I still can remember few years ago there got designers design a house where the interior composition can be folded to hide in order to accomodate different function of the space, but too bad I just cannot recall my memory on who are they and the name of the project... ...

Welcome to discuss or drop me an email if you are interested in the above topic! Thank you very much!

efunovasky@hotmail.com

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    don't forget, joinery items are also very good devices for both space making and a container to hold/hide one's belongings. Shelley Penn does this very well...
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    There's no point asking architects about "the folding stuff" - they never get to see any
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    thankz of the reply!
    personally i think that architect should explore and experiment with new technology and anything that may benifit space making. As a result, I am not oppose the folding stuff. Instead i am very interest in this, folding and unfolding, the art of space!
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    You should check these out.

Drawer House by Nendo
    http://www.nendo.jp/index_e.html

Fukuoka Housing by Steven Holl
    http://www.stevenholl.com/

Gary Chang’s Suitcase House
  • _VamPy_
    edited January 1970
    The drawer house is really cool
    interior looks clean and neat :D...wish it is my house :lol:
  • captinsane
    edited January 1970
    I recently saw on the news about a russian ( i think) university that has created something like 2.5 by 2.5 fully self-contained student accomodation. It was the brain child of university and student research. I will edit my post to include a link if i can find it
  • _VamPy_
    edited January 1970
    cool i would love to see it