This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

EOI: a new building for the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning

<h3 style="color: red"><span style="color: #ff0000"><b><a href="http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/"><span style="color: #ff0000">EOI: a new building for the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning in Melbourne</span></a></b></span></h3>
<p><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">It is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning international design competition.   This competition will select an architect or architectural team to design the replacement building for our Faculty, on the campus at the University of Melbourne. </span></font></p>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">Following extensive consultation with friends of the Faculty, colleagues and international and local alumni we are delighted that this international design competition will put environmentally sustainable design at the forefront of its criteria and help us achieve our vision of creating one of the world’s leading architectural design centres.  </span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"> </font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">Our landmark building will embody the Faculty’s future focus, working from our strengths and reputation to engage in research and teaching known for its global outlook, risk taking innovation and the incubation of tomorrow’s industry leaders.</span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">This project has received the backing of the University community; this commitment is reflected by the role of the Vice Chancellor as the chair of the jury to select the architect. </span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">The process will take place over two stages, the first being an open call for Expressions of Interest from which a short list of up to six practices or teams will be invited to submit additional material for consideration. The details of this process are explained in greater length on our competition website <span style="color: navy"><a title="http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/" href="http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/"><font color="#800080">http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/competition/</font></a></span>. </span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><b><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold">Expressions of Interest are due on Friday 1<sup>st</sup> May 2009</span></font></b>.</div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">I encourage you to consider this opportunity and to assist the Faculty in its ambitions by submitting an expression if you are qualified or forwarding this announcement to anyone who might be qualified and of the calibre appropriate to this distinctive opportunity.</span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">This announcement marks the beginning of our conversation with you.  Over the coming months I hope to meet many more of our constituents and encourage your engagement in our process of redefining the architectural and academic landscape or our institution and our wider community.</span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">Yours sincerely,</span></font></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><b><font color="#c0c0c0" size="2" face="Arial"><span style="color: silver; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold">Professor Thomas Kvan</span></font></b></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><i><font color="#c0c0c0" size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-style: italic; color: silver; font-size: 10pt">MA (Cantab) MArch (Calif) PhD (Open UK)</span></font></i></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><i><font color="#c0c0c0" size="2" face="Arial"><span style="font-style: italic; color: silver; font-size: 10pt">CLTHE (HKU) FRICS CF</span></font></i></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><b><font color="#c0c0c0" size="2" face="Arial"><span style="color: silver; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold">Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning</span></font></b></div>
<div style="margin-right: 4.9pt"><b><font color="#c0c0c0" size="2" face="Arial"><span style="color: silver; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold">The University of Melbourne Victoria 3010 Australia</span></font></b></div>
<p> </p>