This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

government architect - Conga Line?

2»

Comments

• hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    new SGAV puts his stamp on the mexicans.

cartel to deliver new schools?
    http://www.theage.com.au/national/consortium-to-build-11-new-schools-20081215-6ymg.html

SGA might be best delivered as a private public partnership south of the rio?
  • info
    edited December 2008
    Who are Hayball and Gray Puksand?
    Has usual disaster - low brow - written all over it.
    Pity the next generation of Vic architects - excluded via Labor's short-sighted, jobs-for-mates scam.
    Sets up the next 25 years of school/gaol work.

Qld is now having to deal with Joh era capital works from late 70s early 80s.
    D&Cd by his National party scum and now falling apart .
    A lovely bequest to our children.

And not a word from our State Government Architects - too busy trying to make friends.
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    was a firm called hayball leonard stent = mid level once mildly groovy like a kettle that just wouldn't boil?
    not sure if now atomised to a hayball or abbreviated.
    gray puksand do tafes, fire stations , chilled deserts.

biege? not low brow - prolly more east of yarra dinner party?

brumby is destiny of labour party. the sphincter point?
    roots in organised labour makes them pardners in corporatisation.
    otherwise where does organised labour go?
    favours arms length centralisation.
    all control and no responsibility.

Krudd is similar.
    watch his performance with penny wong today. gagged her.
    stalin with a poofy tie.
  • info
    edited December 2008
    Well its time to ask 'where the fcuk is the Qld government architect?'
    Nothing on line - except for the RAIA patting itself on the back upon the appointment earlier in the year.
    Not even a contact point in case you might be looking for the GA.
    I took the liberty of contacting the Qld RAIA chapter to request a way to contact our new GA - and after a ridiculous exchange with the RAIA receptionist(?) that went like this:
    'Hello - I am after the Government Architect's contact details - can you help me?'
    'What kind of details precisely?'
    '... contact details. I wish to contact the Government Architect. Do you have these details?'
    'Email or phone details?'
    - I resisted the temptation to shoot myself and hung up.
    So where the bl'dy hell are you MR GA?
  • hairdresser
    edited December 2008
    tell em i'm not in
    --------------------
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>Info, way back to post #1:</p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;">

<i>This leaves the NSWGA - who is a dedicated and (most telling) resourced public servant - with no commercial ties. An independent position within an enabling government department subject to probity probes but able to pursue an independent architectural agenda. </i>

</p>
    <p>No external commercial ties for sure, but what about internal?</p>
    <p><span class="ItemContent">
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i>The NSW Government Architect & General Manager of the Government Architect’s Office performs two primary roles. The first, as Government Architect, is an advocacy and advisory role to government and its agencies. The second is as General Manager of the Government Architect’s Office (GAO), a multi-disciplinary consultancy operating on <b>full commercial principles</b>. This latter role is unique in Australia. </i></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i>The advisory role is achieved through direct advice to Ministers and senior government staff and also through statutory positions on committees and boards such as Heritage Council and NSW Architects Registration Board as well as numerous design review panels. </i></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i> As General Manger the Government Architect provides overall leadership of the Government Architect’s Office and is responsible for a professional consulting service, providing design and pre-construction advice in the areas of architecture, building engineering, urban and landscape design, heritage design and quantity surveying. </i></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i>The Government Architect is accountable for establishing the strategic direction and positioning of the Office to ensure the effective, efficient and <b>commercial viability of the business</b>. </i></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i>Both roles have existed since Francis Greenway worked as the first Civil Architect for Governor Macquarie in 1816 but it is only since the office was put on a commercial basis in the early 1990s that the roles have reported separately. </i></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 40px;"><i> Peter Mould is the current NSW Government Architect, the 22nd Government Architect since Francis Greenway was appointed in 1816.</i></p>
    <p><span class="ItemContent">http://www.govarch.dpws.nsw.gov.au/profile.asp</span></p>
    <p>Not too clear on the commercial role of the NSW GAO after that. If it's <b>fully </b>commercial, it sounds like a private firm that happens to be fully-owned by the government. I'm an out of towner so in the dark on this - are NSW architects competing against the rather well-positioned NSW GAO? Or, given the history of the Government Architect in NSW, is it thought of the other way around - ie private architects may now compete with the government architect for public projects?</p>
    <p> </p>
    </span></p>
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>FYI Victorian Government Architect Geoffrey London and NZIA president Richard Harris talk to National Radio in New Zealand about the role of the givernment architect and the need for one in New Zealand.</p>
    <p>London describes his role as advocacy of good design (though "it's not focussed primarily on issues to do with appearance") , and helping the government make public spaces that will be treated with respect by hoi polloi - "rather than [them] vandalise public spaces".</p>
    <p>http://sustainablecities.org.nz/2009/09/should-nz-appoint-a-chief-government-architect/</p>
    <p>Or straight to the audio: http://static.radionz.net.nz/assets/audio_item/0004/2051248/ntn-20090901-0926-Are_NZ_cities_falling_short_on_urban_design_-m048.asx</p>
  • miles
    edited November -1
    <p>geoffery everywhere is the new host of grand designs australia</p>
  • hairdresser
    edited September 2009
    perhaps its improper for a single person to grow so influential in the matter of tax payers money and resources without also proposing a mechanism/forum by which work is executed in disagreement with his position socially, politically and architecturally? perhaps not. where appointment terms restricted absolutely in time frames maybe its not such a problem. like US presidents for instance - ie the problem of Bush. the old problem of p s mandarins in a democracy.

gravitarse's long career is as a finisher of things rather than a starter.
    u can be sure that when he shows up its over - and if your any kind of architect you r standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • luke
    edited November -1
    ^ Really?! -'cause I just saw him hanging around GOMA/SLQ with old Riddles .... there goes Brissy (and me I suppose).
  • hairdresser
    edited September 2009
    in the new centre of power and arranging a role for himself federally after the harcourt accountants spin department is put through the night of long knives in 18 months?
  • luke
    edited September 2009
    maybe - could be a couple of things - QUT and UQ both shopping for new heads of school
    and UQ has just lost one AA prof .... take yer pick
  • hairdresser
    edited September 2009
    when you see the crated coffin full of dirt being delivered to the basement you will know he's coming for sure. unfortunately the last thing brissy needs. done very well so far without that kind - AA thing there is a cultivated myth - the Pog was the man and he wasn't down to Boyarksi's zombie legacy?
  • luke
    edited November -1
    ^^^^^ so what you're saying HD, is if certain cards play out here in Brissy, we should watch out for the grim reeper? Seems it might be a bit late for a couple of the graphic designers grasping for mexican coat tails - or is it?
  • hairdresser
    edited September 2009
    wot i'm saying is gravitarse looks out for #1.
    its dust that flows in his veins and he can't be caught out in the sunlight in 2 years time?

- bris/vegas would seem attractive to the undead as its a fairly fresh corpse.
    u should take it as a sign (confirmation) that the grim reaper has already been.
  • luke
    edited September 2009
    bugger .... might have to go hang out with yoda for a while