This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

sustainable city and sustainable architecture

<p>I just attended a seminar a week ago and there are a couple of queries still 'annoying' me,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. why is that when we are talking about all the solutions to a green architecture or sustainable planning, what is it thiat is lacking and therefore results in this neverending discussion ? and why is it when some of us seems so knowledgable and experienced in environmental / green design, why is it still so difficult to 'make it all happen'?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2. does sustainable /green architecture / houses = sustainable cities / sustainable developments? why and why not? eg all the houses in a suburb achieve a 5 star or even a 6 star, does that mean that neigborhood is 'sustainable' ? if not, why?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>3. what is lacking in the urban policy? there are clauses and res code describing orientation, bulk and form, streetscape and etc etc, what about transport? and community? is it possible to include the concept of 'urban density' into streetscape? To what level of urban density is appropriate? who decides?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>4. in a modern democratic society, when looking at 'public consultation ' vs 'policy making' , which one is more powerful? I only assume policy making being the definite / most powerful tool known so far to 'maintain' or 'design' a sustainable environment / urban growth.</p>
<p> </p>